Solving issues associated with Indirect Taxes is all about breaking each transaction down into its constituent parts. I love to work with a client to get the finer details in order and then watch how simple it becomes to resolve complex issues.
With 30 years of combined accounting and financial industry experience, Ian has been a Director specialising in Indirect Taxes at a big four firm, Inhouse Manager of Indirect Taxes for a large corporate and the Chief Financial Officer at a funds management firm.
Ian specialises in Indirect Taxes including GST, payroll tax and employment taxes generally, having spent more than 17 years as a specialist consultant in this area.
As part of this specialty, he has successfully implemented effective GST arrangements and designed ongoing compliance processes for a range of companies across various industry sectors. His experience also extends to cross border transactions and the application of GST legislation to these transactions.
Ian works closely with his clients to ensure that they comply with Indirect Tax obligations and to assist them in managing Australian Taxation Office or State Revenue Authority audits.
Recent examples of work include:
- Negotiated GST refunds with the ATO of $1m for two NSW Registered Clubs
- Provided GST, land tax and structuring advice for complex property transaction in excess of $130m
- Principal advisory role for corporate in responding to ATO for purposes of Top 1000 GST Assurance
- Program for Public and multinational businesses
- Provide Australian GST solution for numerous non-resident entities importing goods and supplying intangible products from offshore into Australia
- Coordinate payroll tax investigation process for numerous entities, including resolving contractor and grouping issues, plus negotiating of penalties on identified underpayments
Qualifications and Memberships:
- Bachelor of Commerce - University of NSW
- Member of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CA ANZ)
- Fellow of CPA Australia