I take pride in helping clients navigate the complex tax environment. As a specialist tax practitioner, I ensure my clients’ risk is managed appropriately while also maximising any opportunities that present for them.
Partner – Taxation
Gary has around 20 years of tax experience gained mostly in a ‘Big 4’ tax consulting team and in a commercial tax role with an ASX listed mining company.
He provides tax advisory expertise to clients ranging from large corporates through to smaller SME style businesses. Gary has expertise in all areas of corporate tax, including international tax, corporate restructures, mergers and acquisitions, tax compliance, R&D tax incentives and tax-effect accounting. His industry experience includes a focus on mining, technology, industrial products and professional services.
Gary also advises in the owner-managed business sector, from smaller businesses through to the owners and leaders of complex private groups. He adds value in this space, advising on structuring elements to ensure the client’s structure meets their current and future plans for the business. This could extend to tax-effective profit structures through to proposed future exits via sale or Initial Public Offering.
Gary also has strong experience with all forms of ATO interaction. This includes working with the ATO to secure private rulings through to managing ATO reviews and audits. He will always approach the ATO interaction in a collaborative manner while always protecting the interests of his clients.
Gary brings to clients his own wealth of experience and access to the combined expertise of tax specialists throughout PKF member firms in Australia and internationally.
Recent examples of Gary’s engagements include:
- Advising an ASX listed infrastructure company in relation to the acquisition of a group of companies including undertaking tax due diligence
- Assisting a Thai inbound client in relation to a potential restructure of the Australian group, including capital gains tax, tax consolidation and stamp duty implications
- Advising an Australian private business with interests in PNG and Singapore around implementation of an optimal tax structure
- Advising a Korean inbound client in relation to the formation of a tax consolidated group in Australia, following the acquisition of two companies in the agribusiness sector.
Qualifications and memberships:
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting) - Griffith University
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) – Griffith University
- Master of Laws (Taxation) – University of Sydney
- Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand
- Registered Tax Agent