Demystifying the role of the Corporate Advisor
It surprises me the number of people that I have known for many years that don’t understand what my work as a corporate advisor involves. With that in mind, and in an effort to shed some clarity on my professional role, I have attempted to define it with more certainty in a simple sentence: I help businesses set and meet their objectives.
The provision of excellent decision making and transactional support is the foundation upon which PKF Melbourne was established and has prospered. The need to support clients throughout the various stages of their business life-cycle from start-up to growth, maturity and eventually exit has underpinned our growth and so with it my role in the practice. Below is an overview of the corporate advisory team’s capabilities.
What we do
Our role can incorporate many tasks and the ways we can assist businesses set and meet objectives at the various stages of their lifecycle may include:
- Assist with start-up structuring, valuation and financing;
- Review of existing businesses operations and performance to assist with strategy and business planning;
- Implementation and assistance with corporatisation strategy to help transform good businesses into great businesses;
- Setting and monitoring of KPI’s and mid to long term strategy;
- Preparation and implementation of 3 way forecasting model to assist with monitoring performance:
- Banking covenants; and
- Depending on strategy set:
- formulate and implementation of business improvement;
- business expansion; and
- Succession planning strategy.
- Acquisition strategy – target identification, valuation, approach and due diligence;
- Succession planning strategy – valuation, strategy, approach and transaction management.
The setting and meeting of objectives is different for all businesses and thus defining precisely what we do, varies depending on those objectives. In its simplest form we can help you:
- value your business;
- maximise the value of your business;
- grow your business,
- buy businesses; or
- sell your business.
Associated with all the steps outlined above are the services that support the steps – which we have summarised in the table below:
Expert witness reports for Court, Forensic reports for Court, Independent Expert Reports to support on market transactions, Indicative Valuation Reports and Valuation Reports to support the following:
- Capital Gains Tax Purposes
- Company and matrimonial Disputes
- Stamp Duty purposes
- Intellectual Property rights
- Corporate Restructuring exercises
With the recent addition of PKF DMR and the expertise this brand represents we have the capability to handle any type of valuation engagement from the valuation of a small family owned business to the ASX listed variety.
Transaction Support Services
Comprehensive review and assurance engagements which support the basis upon which investment and funding decisions are based upon including:
- Vendor Due Diligence
- Acquisition Due Diligence
- M & A Due Diligence
- Preparation and review of financial forecasts and analysis
- Pre-lend reviews
M & A Transactions and support
Detailed analysis and advice regarding transactions including :
- Sale of businesses
- Acquisition of businesses
- Target identification and approach
- M & A advisory – business combinations /mergers, deal structure, advice, and execution
IPO support services including:
- Independent Expert Reports (Valuation Services)
- Independent Accountants Report (Review of financial statements and forecast for inclusion in ASX documentation)
Who we service
We assist key decision makers including management, C-suite executives, boards and business owners. Our varied services allow us to provide insight and advice, supporting informed strategic decision making, be it growth, acquisition and expansion or consolidation, succession and divestment.
I hope the above has gone some way to clarifying the role of the corporate advisor. Over the coming weeks we will be presenting a series of articles delving into key challenges faced by many businesses: performance and improvement, strategic growth and succession and how PKF can provide support along the way. Whether you are an executive in an ASX company or a SME business owner, there are many ways in which we can assist.
For further information regarding how we may be able to help you or clarification regarding any of the above please contact either Timothy Bow or Steven Perri of our Melbourne office on 03 9679 2222 or alternatively any of our corporate advisory specialists around the country.